The project involved the new construction of the existing facilities in Portlaoise General Hospital while it remained fully operational.
The works included a newly constructed Psychiatric, A&E and Paediatric units.
A particularly high standard of Engineering Expertise was necessary to deal successfully with the following:
1. highly variable weak ground conditions for foundations and,
2. very extensive structural alterations to existing buildings.
3. engineering solutions to alleviate closure / disruption to numerous departments and to enable the hospital to function during the construction works.
Phase 1 incorporates:
- A new Acute Psychiatric Unit
- Upgrading Medical Wards and C.C.U.
- Catering Department expansion and upgrading
- A new Paediatric Unit
- Waste Management Buildings
- Extensive new Service Buildings
Infrastructural Works including new car parks, main access road, redevelopment of on site circulation routes, water supply and drainage.
Extensive Catering facilities for the Healthcare units in the Portlaoise area. Underground walk in service ducting throughout the building was also required. Project Area 19,000m2. Extensive site services included roadway system with a car park for over 250 cars.