Goldenbridge Cemetery occupies a rectangular piece of land adjacent to the Grand Canal in Kilmainham. Having opened in 1829, Goldenbridge Cemetery was the first catholic cememtery after emancipation. A chapel in the graveyard marks the spot where a Mass Rock stood in penal times and the first Head of the Irish Government, WT Csgrave, is buried there. The cemetery is close to capacity and is currently in poor condition.
The chapel is a listed structure that has fallen into disrepair over the years. Clifton Scannell Emerson Associates were commissioned in 2006 to carry out a condition report on the cemetery. The first phase of the restoration of the chapel structure took place in late 2009 with further phases in 2010.