This is one of Dublin Castle's most important high profile restoration projects. Five of these buildings were constructed as Military Barracks between 1840 and 1860. The other four buildings were originally built about 1750 and were converted to Officers Quarters about the time of the Battle of Waterloo.
The work involved major general restoration and refurbishment of a whole street of buildings, which were in various degrees of dereliction. The historical character of the old buildings is retained, making good use of exposed brickwork internally and externally but the whole scheme was wholly modernized to accommodate the EU Presidency in 1996 with all necessary requirements for communication, access, security etc.