Clifton Scannell Emerson Associates (CSEA) were appointed by Fingal County Council to act as Consulting Engineers, Project Managers and PSDP on the upgrade of two sub-standard roads to urban distributor standard in the industrial area to the north of Blanchardstown.
The road upgrades were necessary for safety as the route carried in excess of 10,000 AADT and was required to allow access for all transport modes and utility services to a large employment catchment.
The design of the roads was for a 22m wide reservation encompassing a 10.5m carriageway, grass margin, cycle ways and footpaths to achieve a Modal Split. The carriageway was designed to allow the inclusion of a future bus corridor if required by Dublin Bus. The area is highly industrialised and required a high level of services with the reservation.
Key aspects of this scheme included:
- 2 No. 70m ICD roundabouts and 2 No. 50m ICD roundabouts including redevelopment of the IDA Ballycoolin Business Park entrance
- 2 No. signalised junctions including redevelopment of the Stadium Business Park and Premier Business Park entrance
- Land acquisition predominantly by agreement with Landowners at nominal value
- Provision of 2km of 1,000 dia. Dublin City Council Water Main from Ballycoolin Resevoir with actuated valve arrangements to replace existing twin AC mains
- Provision of 400 dia. Fingal County Council Ring Main to service industrial catchment
- Private sector services included a 12 way ESB medium/low voltage ducting on both roads, 2 No. 38 kV circuits on the Ballycoolin Road and new 12 way telecos ducting for all the main telecom providers on both roads.